Dixie Grays, Ladoga, IN
General Robert E. Lee
The citizen-soldiers who fought for the Confederacy personified the best qualities of America. The preservation of liberty and freedom was the motivating factor in the South's decision to fight the Second American Revolution. The tenacity with which Confederate soldiers fought underscored their belief in the rights guaranteed by the Constitution. These attributes are the underpinning of our democratic society and represent the foundation on which this nation was built.
Today, the Sons of Confederate Veterans is preserving the history and legacy of these heroes so that future generations can understand the motives that animated the Southern Cause.
The SCV are the direct heirs of the United Confederate Veterans, and the oldest hereditary organization for male descendants of Confederate soldiers. Organized at Richmond, Virginia in 1896, the SCV continues to serve as a historical, patriotic, and non-political organization dedicated to ensuring that a true history of the 1861-1865 period is preserved.
Membership in the Sons of Confederate Veterans is open to all male descendants of any veteran who served honorably in the Confederate armed forces.
Meeting Hall of the Dixie Grays every third Tuesday of each month at 7pm.
to Historic Ladoga and Old Normal Hall. Central Indiana Normal School was opened in 1876 in Ladoga, Indiana, and organized as a private Indiana school specializing in teacher training. Old Normal is the last remaining building from the campus of the former Central Normal School.
The Old Normal building is on the Indiana State Register of Historic Sites and Structures and the National
List of Historic Places.
Historic Ladoga, Inc. was organized in the spring of 1993 after which it successfully acquired title to the property in 1994 and began restoration in 1997.
Preserved to the highest standards, this beautiful facility is available for
rent for any of your
How Ladoga, IN is Our Home
Stonewall Jackson Camp #1, Ladoga
In the mid-1890’s, a group of Montgomery County men, all former Confederate soldiers, decided to form a camp of the United Confederate Veterans. The United Confederate Veterans was formed after the Civil War in the South. This veteran’s organization was made up of former Confederate soldiers and sailors.
It was decided that the newly organized camp should be in Ladoga, Indiana, due partly to the large number of former Confederates in the area and a friendly atmosphere toward the south. The original charter had 11 members. The names were Jonas T. Gish, William P. Camden, John Mangus, Thomas Terry, Isaac Sperry, William Luster, Madison Linkenhoker, Thomas Luster, Jacob Wingert, William Ashwell, and Lewellyn Coppage. William Camden was elected Camp Commander and Jacob Wingert was the chaplain. The camp was named the Stonewall Jackson Camp #1, in honor of General Stonewall Jackson. This camp was the only United Confederate Veteran’s camp in Indiana, and one of the very few north of the Mason-Dixon Line. During the next ten years, several more members were added. They were David Kennedy, Braxton Cash, William, “Billy” Mitchell, William Zimmerman, Alex Sheets, and Joseph Moody.
Stonewall Jackson Camp #1 was in existence until about 1920. The last member was William “Billy” Mitchell, who died in 1930.
Origin of our Namesake
The "Dixie Grays" organized in Salem, Roanoke County, Virginia in June, 1861, and entered the
Confederate service July 1st, 1861, as Company E, Forty-Second Regiment, Virginia Volunteer
Infantry, Edward Johnston's Brigade, Jackson's Division, Second Corps, Army of Northern
Virginia, and participated in the battles of Kernstown, Port Republic, Williamsburg,
McDowell, Cross Keys, Seven Pines, Cedar Run, Fredericksburg, Second Manassas,
Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Mine Run, and Spottsylvania Courthouse. The command was
practically wiped out at the battle of Spottsylvania Courthouse, having occupied the very
point of the "Bloody Angle." At Cedar Run the company went in with thirty-eight men,
fifteen of whom were killed and fifteen wounded, four of whom died of their injuries a few
After Lees' Surrender, only one of the surviving Dixie Grays showed up for role call
the next morning, John Mangus and was also only member present when the company was paroled at Appomattox Courthouse on April 9th, 1865. Many of them were in prison and others on sick leave.