Charge to the Sons of Confederate Veterans

To you, Sons of Confederate Veterans, we will commit the vindication of the cause for which we fought. To your strength will be given the defense of the Confederate soldier's good name, the guardianship of his history, the emulation of his virtues, the perpetuation of those principles which he loved and which you love also, and those ideals which made him glorious and which you also cherish.
Remember, it is your duty to see that the true history of the South is presented to future generations.

Lt. General Stephen Dill Lee, Commander General
United Confederate Veterans
New Orleans, Louisiana April 25, 1906.

Fill out Application and send it along with all required Documents, Dues or Donations to:


Gaylan Garrett

4909 W. Melrose Ave.

Indianapolis, IN   46241

Friends of the SCV (FOSCV)

As a way to recognize persons who
support the SCV, but do not meet the
requirements for membership, the General Executive Council (GEC) has approved the “Friends of the SCV” concept which
has now come to fruition. For a minimum
initial donation of $40, the “Friend” receives a nice certificate suitable for framing, a
FOSCV lapel pin and a one-year subscription to the Confederate Veteran magazine.
Subsequent donations of $30 or more each
year will maintain the CV subscription
and friendship. Please note that “Friends” are not SCV members, may not exercise
any rights of membership to include claiming to be members.

The “Friends of the
SCV” application may be accessed
on the SCV website at this link:

Camps which already have associate membership programs in place for their
supporters who do not have Confederate ancestry are free to

either participate in this
program or continue their current system.

Fill out Application and send it with  check made out to SCV,  to:

Gaylan Garrett
4909 W. Melrose Ave.
Indianapolis, IN   46241

Who Can Join?
Membership in the Sons of Confederate Veterans is open to all male descendants of any veteran who served honorably in the Confederate armed forces. Membership can be obtained through either lineal or collateral family lines and kinship to a veteran must be documented genealogically. The minimum age for full membership is 12, but there is no minimum for Cadet membership.

Applicants should submit an application form, along with a detailed genealogy describing your relationship to the veteran, and proof of his service.

To obtain proof of his service, contact the archives of the state from which the soldier fought and obtain a copy of the veteran's military service record. All Southern state's archives have microfilm records of the soldiers who fought from that state, and a copy of the information can be obtained for a nominal fee. In addition, the former Confederate states awarded pensions to veterans and their widows. All of these records contain a wealth of information that can be used to document military service.

Please note that finding someone listed in the Broadfoot Roster with the same name as your ancestor does not constitute proof (John Jones from Tennessee). You must use accepted standards of genealogical research to demonstrate that the two men are, in fact, the same.

The SCV has a network of genealogists to assist you in tracing you ancestor's Confederate service.

Salute to the CONFEDERATE Flag


*That Cause is resistance to nationlist tyrrany and the preservation of states' rights and individual liberty.

Dixie Grays, Ladoga, IN